What is YAM, you ask??? Why it is Youth Art Month and it happens every March. This is the month where we celebrate the arts and the impact it has on our children, our students, our schools, and our community. According to the Council for Art Education, the purpose is....
1. To direct attention to the value of art education which develops divergent and critical thinking; multicultural awareness, and technical communication, and expressive skills.
2. To increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
3. To recognize art is a necessity for the full development of better quality life for all people.
4. To expand art programs in schools and stimulate new ones.
5. To increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
6. To provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
7. To encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
8. To recognize art education as a viable component in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
9. To reflect and demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.
If you have not stopped by Chets Creek and walked our upstairs gallery, then you are in for a treat, as we have displayed spectacular works by our students for all viewers to enjoy.