Friday, March 2, 2012

Encostic Painting

This is the first time I have tried my hand at teaching students about Encostic Painting. It is actually a very old form of painting, using melted wax. We used melted crayons in a variety of colors. I am doing this with my after school art students, who prove to be my artistic guinea pigs, and they are LOVING IT!

Process: I have had people donate old electric skillets (and I could use a few more). We fill them 1/4 to 1/2 full of water and set them on 250 to 300 degrees. I put a muffin tin in each one and put different colors of crayons in each space. After melting, the students begin filling in their drawing with wax. I have them draw on scrap mat board, because it is heavier than regular paper.

Students can use the hair drying to melt and smooth wax on their boards. This gives those areas a shiny finish.

Can't wait to see them finished! Will share :-)




No comments: