Friday, December 12, 2008

Still lilfe Photography


My 5th graders are going to town with photography this year. In thisclass, we talked about photographing interesting still lifes.
We talked about changing angles, closeups, and
just creative set ups that might be different from the normal still life pictures that we see. After looking at several photographs with the still life genre, we discuss different ways we could interpret and set up objects that were placed around the room. Students got all kinds of stuff out of my storerooms, my shelves, my closets and cabinets. Just about any thing they could find to use.
Believe me when I say, they got creative. With only two classes of 50
minutes each, they had to find their stuff, make their plan, set up their items, photograph them and then print them. You can't even imagine what my room looked like at the end of those two classes. I had still lifes EVERYWHERE! But I can't argue with the results. They really had to make alot of quick, quality decisions to get their final results. For the most part, everyone did great!
If you have any other really great ideas for subject matter for digital photograpy, please, please, please....let me know.





1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I love that you are always willing to step out of the box and do something original. The idea of photography for 5th graders is great! I wish I had some ideas for you, but I don't. In fact, I should come take an art class with the kids!