Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Wallpaper Still life
This was a wonderful project done with 3rd grade students.
* First a lesson on DEPTH and how artist achieve this on a flat surface.
* We talked about CONTRAST and how they would have to think about their wallpaper choices so the viewer could make out the objects.
* The students then drew a plan of their still life objects and where they would place them in the composition.
* Then students were given a piece of cardboard and a whole lot of scraps of wall paper. They really went to town, designing their still life, using all the patterns and textures available.
* Finally, the students were able to embellish and clarify with oil pastels to enhance the final piece.
This was a fun project,definitly worth repeating! Check with local stores that carry wallpaper and ask if they would donate their old books of wallpaper samples. You can usually get more than you need.